Tuesday, September 13, 2011

First week with 5/3/1

First week is over with my latest routine; I am finding myself more motivated than ever to put everything I got into every repetition. As suggested with the outline of the routine, I am using 90% of my 1 rep max for all the calculations for the first 4 weeks. I was first skeptical with the idea and believed I wouldn't be adequately challenged. But with this routine the last set of every day is a max effort, leaving me with more than enough carrots at the end of a stick. As I said before in my last post, I shall give the details on where I'm at and where I am going to aim to be at with time under pressure.

Weight/Height: 195lbs./5'11''
Body Fat: 15-17%

Bench Press 1RM: 255lbs.
Squat 1RM: 233lbs.
Deadlift 1RM: 328lbs.
Overhead Press 1RM: 159lbs.

When I look at my stats I always sigh at the ratio of my bench press versus my squat. As with my last routine I am taking it upon myself to get my legs to a respectable strength. I have only been squatting and deadlifting for the past 3 months, where as I have been doing some sort of chest work for the last year.

The goal I have in place for the next 3 to 4 months is to maintain, if not gain, my muscle mass and drop to around 180~lbs. I do feel my squat has the most room the grow, but that isn't my biggest concern for the time being. My diet is directed to achieve my first and main goal; I'm positive my squat will make the most progress regardless, but it isn't the focus.

I'll hopefully keep updating with progress every week, and if you wanted to read a detailed outline of the routine I mention the link is here:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

-tlf

2 comments: