Thursday, May 19, 2011

Why I don't Food Log

I don't log what food I eat, unless were talking about the content of the following blog! I have my own reasons and opinions as to why keeping track of all the macro-nutrients and exact log of the food I eat daily isn't necessary. One being the time sync that is involved with reading and tracking. Also doing a log almost seems like counting your steps while running. But while I say logging isn't required for reaching any sort of health or fitness goal, it is necessary to know the nutrients of what you eat. So this is where logging comes in with most people just to gain that knowledge of food they consume.

So for the blog of Thursday, May 19 2011 I am logging my food throughout the day! Before I get straight into it, this isn't a prime example by any means(I woke up at 11am today and first meal was at 12:30pm). My current diet varies depending on the workout I have on any particular day, so today is a heavy lifting chest day and this isn't the best I would like to eat during this type of day. It is what it is.

Meal 1: 12:30pm
4 egg whites, 2 whole eggs
3 sausage links
1 tbsp butter

36g fat
6g carb
45g protein
calories 550

Meal 2: 3:30pm
1 cup of oatmeal
~1 cup of skim milk
greek yogurt

6g fat
84g carb
31g protein
calories 530

workout here

Meal 3: 6:30
1 cup of skim milk
2 scoop protein powder
3 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp flax seed
hand full mix berries
pop tarts 

44.5g fat 
108g carb 
74g protein 
calories 1160

Meal 4: 8:30
5 turkey bacon strips
1 scoop protein powder in water
1/3 tbsp peanut butter

16g fat 
3g carb 
34g protein 
calories 325

Whole Day
102.5g fat 21%
201g carb 41%
184g protein 38%
calories 2565

To note I am 5'11" and 195 lbs.

As I said before this is in no way a prime example, literally zero vegetables and I ate pop tarts for a post-workout meal, reason being an over due visit to the grocery. This is also a good example as to why I don't do this on a regular basis; I can see myself one month down the road looking back on this and saying that I failed diet wise and become discouraged. Day to day diet isn't as important as consistent awareness of what you're body needs and work with what you got. Main idea is to not add any stress when your goal is health!

-tlf

54 comments:

  1. The pop tarts made me laugh a bit, sorry. But you are right, food might be important, but the activity must go along as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe some veggies would be nice :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ate 4 packages of ramen before class =X I'm 6" 175. TGF high metabolism I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty sure every meal should include bacon. Or something wrapped in bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 5'10" 114lbs here, that's why I don't foodlog ._.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you had me since you said poptarts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Day to day diet isn't as important as consistent awareness of what you're body needs and work with what you got. Main idea is to not add any stress when your goal is health!" - Wise words!
    I hate to imagine what my food log would be hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. my food log, omg that would be funny

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to try to do something like this sometimes, it could be funny
    when I had my diet I tried to stay always under the 1800/2000 calories and it worked

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thx for tue guide!! i'll follow it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh damn, I have to mame more excercise, I just ate nutella and oreos and milk, I was looking forward to a coke but this post made me feel unhealthy haha, thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah I dont like following my meals... makes me sad haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. foodlogging sounds crazy! are you crazy?! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree that logging all the nutrients vitamins etc.. isn't necessary, but if you are running a weightloss program then logging just calories can help tons. just getting a general overview of how many calories you eat can provide useful. nice post though

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mac N Cheese. Mac N Cheese. Mac N Cheese.....

    Lol, good post, always a good idea to remember to watch what you are eating

    ReplyDelete
  16. -nutrimental information-
    fuck it xD

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah variation is as important as eating the right things I think. I also think that more people should try to eat healthily rather than doing diets to lose weight because if you eat sensibly and healthily, and lead an active lifestyle, then weight should regulate itself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. First time I see a food log, maybe I should try and make one. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. With my crap metabolism, I'd probably die from doing this, although I really envy you for being able to do what you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great log, i might have to start logging what i eat as well to match my workout process. Good balance in what you should be eating i need to fix my diet =/ ha

    ReplyDelete
  21. 5'7" and 125 lb Male. I food log in an attempt to figure out what the hell i'm intolerant/allergic to. following

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh jesus...
    *Drools and floods the whole place*

    +1 Follow

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow.... I totally wish that I had the metabolism for this kinda thing daily >.<

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just had my second klondike bar of he night.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Makes me want to think about my diet, which may not be the best thing for my mental health

    ReplyDelete
  26. I only eat twice, thrice at most >_>

    ReplyDelete
  27. bacon? mmhhh, just the smell is enough to drive me WILD!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I could never food log.
    It's so tedious! D:

    ReplyDelete
  29. Footlogging is so not worth it

    ReplyDelete
  30. I food log with an app on my Android tablet and phone. Makes things much easier to track. Just input whatever you've eaten (there's a huge online database of just about every kind of food, so make your selection wisely!). It's actually very very nice to do.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I agree! More more increase in activity is more important than eating EXACTLY right. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  32. My day starts off with a 1000 calorie caramel machiato...

    ReplyDelete
  33. The pop tarts are a good thing there. Important food group. Also you need Ramen : -p. Good post mate.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Remember to sleep well man! Sleeping is the key for a good health too!

    ReplyDelete
  35. i need to eat more. i weigh 150 and i eat so much but i cant gain weight

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very health conscious! Thats always good

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's great that you watch what you eat!

    ReplyDelete
  38. lol, poptart diet. I read the label on that and its like 400 calories for 0 nutrients. I never bought them in my life, only ate them as a kid. I try and watch what i eat.. but man, no one else does and that really discourages me from pertaining to my goal diet.

    ReplyDelete
  39. i am the worst dieter, ever, regular lunch.. 2-3 hot pockets... i am too lazy to cook anything, 6'2 190 though so I guess I can thank my metabolism for now

    ReplyDelete