Sunday, May 22, 2011

Right to Death?

So the blog for today is going to be a story, which will require an answer that I'm not so sure I personally can answer.




I work for a print shop company, that will go unnamed, and there was a particular order that was placed just a few weeks ago that I was unaware of until the customer picked it up today. The product we were producing was a personalized plaque with a message on it. At first I thought there was some sort of typo when I saw the order after a co-worker brought it to my attention. It read something along the lines of

Mom I have not left you, I love you
Jane Doe
1/23/60 - 5/25/11

This looks awfully like something someone would have in memory of someone who is dead. Only the date of the death hasn't occurred yet. So when the customer arrives to pick up this order(the name on the plaque is the same name on the order form), she has her mother with her and my co-worker makes an attempt to bring this potential typo up to the customer. She quickly cut my co-worker off and requests not to have the finished product out of the bag. Also one other thing to note, the customer potentially had a disability and required crutches. Immediately after this happened I felt like shit, and continue to feel like shit. I don't know what I should do, if I should even do anything, whether I am assuming too much, or potentially invading someones privacy. The only other information I know about this person is an email address, which leaves me with a question I don't know how to answer.

Feel free to share your thoughts, or don't.

-tlf

29 comments:

  1. It'll be okay! You where just trying to be helpful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont feel like shit for trying to help

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that's a shocking and deep story. I don't know really, only thing I can advise is to do what you think is right, seems a pretty freaky situation. I mean, if the death is going to happen then why get that made beforehand?! I suppose you could be obliged to report it, if it was different circumstances and you suspected someone was going to kill in cold blood, would you do anything then?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's best if you don't contact them. One must not meddle in other affairs after all =0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well if it were murder, I would have no hesitation in whooping some a... err call the police.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is tough situation, it's a personal call though. Suicide or Murder, it's troubling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's... pretty creepy. I don't blame you for being a little freaked out. I'm not sure what I would do in your situation. Yeesh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats a major ethical dilemma right there

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's actually disturbing me...

    Good luck - I have no idea what I would do...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, not sure what I would do either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also feel like shit after hearing this story...

    ReplyDelete
  12. i wouldnt know what to do man. just ignore it and go on?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thats scary i would hate to be stuck your situation =/, That is just a rough spot to be in

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would probably report this to be honest, that is a serious note and shouldnt be left untouched

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a bit creepy. Isn't there a chance the customer was just trying to rekindle the relationship with her mother on that date? Seems like it would be a decent thing to do. The alternative definitely sucks though..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...
    This is so sad...
    Maybe the girl is undergoing a dangerous surgery or something... and planning ahead in case she does not make it...

    That's something I would do, leaving a message or something in case I don't make it...

    ReplyDelete
  17. You could email her and ask her if she is undergoing surgery...

    The best answer you could get is yes, in which case you could wish her the best of lucks...
    The worst answer you could get is no, in which case.... :/

    ReplyDelete
  18. If feel unsecured it's better reporting it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I feel like one should not interfere with that. It is that person's right to do that, and atleast they keep their family in their mind. I think it is quite touching that they would make that for their mother.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that's really creepy in a way

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was a very thought provoking article, one which I'm going to need to read again to fully comprehend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Death is a very touchy topic for everyone imo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would report it, if you know something was going to happen and don't do anything you could be liable in some way

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow thats pretty interesting. I think honestly companies usually act too robotic about things. I wouldn't go so far as to invade their privacy but maybe just ask them to double check to see if the dates are correct. I'm interested in what happened now! Cool blog, going to follow.

    ReplyDelete